Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jean Marie Henderson" <jeaniebean77@h...>
Date:  Wed Dec 4, 2002  1:38 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Woodwind players

Michelle,
Thanks for the compliment!! I think it was hard for me because I had a
teacher who was not very good at explaining technique. She sang with a good
deal of tension, and in general so did her students. When I started working
with a more able teacher, it didn't take long to release those issues. Good
guidance is so key.

I learned a lot by playing an instrument. I recommend it highly. Playing
in an instrumental ensemble really helped me learn to tune, listen and
balance with others, and we were held responsible for our own part in a way
that people in most choruses don't learn to do. Becasue it was a wind
ensemble, we played a lot of new music. It also helped a lot with
sight-reading, particularly rhythmic reading. Multiple meters are a cinch.
Stravinsky, Bernstein, and Barber are no big deal. However, I have also
heard many an instrumental conductor (particularly those who work with
strings) say that they wish their players could sing, in order to have that
sense of line and phrasing.
Another example of how being well rounded is a good thing, yes?

Jean Marie