Vocalist.org archive

From:  Michelle Albert <drama_diva_au@y...>
Date:  Wed Dec 4, 2002  12:38 am
Subject:  Woodwind players

Jean Marie Henderson wrote a great post (which I have filed away for future
reference) about issues she faced as a singer who had played clarinet/saxaphone.
I just wanted to say how much this really surprised me. I've taught two
clarinettists and one oboe player and they were actually among my "easiest"
students. They had a jump start on the musicianship aspects of performance which
is always a bonus, especially in beginner singers. But to address Jean Marie's
points, they didn't have the tonal or breathing issues, especially that of
resistance and having learnt the clarinet myself, I really do wonder why,
because Jean Marie is absolutely right. One of them did have major issues with
overcoming her embouchure though. She initially sang with a very closed mouth
and very little movement in her face and was one of the rare students I had to
encourage to smile more while she sang to retrain the sensation of mobilizing
her face. For her it was an issue of flexibility, and working different muscles
in the different situations, which to her credit she achieved admirably in a
very short space of time. Her tone blossomed once she activated her face. (She
had practised yoga for many years too.) Her breathing technique was impeccable.
Maybe she had adjusted naturally or maybe she hadn't been playing as long (ten
years) as Jean Marie.

Michelle

Reality is just a figment of your imagination.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21229 Re: Woodwind playersJean Marie Henderson jeaniebean77 Wed  12/4/2002

emusic.com