Vocalist.org archive

From:  Michelle Albert <drama_diva_au@y...>
Date:  Wed Dec 4, 2002  12:15 am
Subject:  Re: "jaw just won't drop" - the cork

You know Bob, I don't know how long you have been perservering with the cork
now, (you mentioned several months) but perhaps it's time to give it away and
return to singing without interference. Your last post describing what you are
doing just exhausts me to read it! :-) I honestly feel it's really not meant to
be something you do forever more and in my experience can create as many
problems as it solves. It's a great idea, if it works for you, as a short term
learning tool, but I have found personally and as a teacher, there is always a
time to let go of any "technique" and just sing again. I think it's great that
you're trying it and working on your singing systematically. You don't mention
if you have a teacher or coach or even accompanist that can give you any
feedback, it's always hardest on your own. Without outside feedback it's harder
to know when to give it away. Just have a think about it anyway, maybe with a
view to setting yourself some benchmark or date, if you haven't got any other
feedback, whereby you say to yourself "I will give it up when...." and don't be
too hard and fast about that either. Sometimes a break of a fortnight to go on
holidays and do no singing at all is all that's needed. After this much hard
work, I can almost guarantee when you come back to it, you'll hear an improved
sound.
Best Of luck
Michelle

Reality is just a figment of your imagination.

emusic.com