Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Tue Dec 3, 2002  11:19 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Consonants and breath flow

In a message dated 12/2/2002 4:15:07 PM Central Standard Time,
bandb@n... writes:

> I agree Mary, image and perspective is important, if NOT everything.
> There is no strangling in the support process at all, in fact exactly
> the opposite. The "belt," quite separate from that one you support,
> <pun intended> makes what has always been called "diaphragmatic
> support", a recognizable concept, rather than just something for
> Randy to snipe at. The same support removes any tendency to
> use strangulation as a method of tonal production. The pressure
> on the cummerbund, (Hindi name) is outward, not inward, as you
> seem to envisage.
> Regards Reg.

Dearest Reg,

My point has always been that the prephonatory tuning of the folds influences
the amount of breath needed to engage phonation. The supralaryngeal tension
demands more airpressure. In most cases, working on support does not do the
job, but releasing the suprahyoid muscles, encouraging a lower laryngeal
positioning which goes hand in hand better vocal fold adduction then
encourages better airflow rates and subglottal pressure.

Can support be the problem? Yes, but it should be dealt with after the
laryngeal level has been neutralized and if the client is still showing
problems with overblowing. BTW, thanks for inviting me into this
conversation.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21230 Re: Consonants and breath flowLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Wed  12/4/2002
21231 Re: Consonants and breath flowJohn Link johnlink010254 Wed  12/4/2002
21259 Re: Consonants and breath flowSharon Szymanski sszymanski27514 Thu  12/5/2002
21234 Re: Consonants and breath flowJames bandbau Wed  12/4/2002

emusic.com