Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jean Marie Henderson" <jeaniebean77@h...>
Date:  Tue Dec 3, 2002  8:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Singer with heavy, dark, flat head voice

Kristina,
Over-coming the over-opened throat - hmmmmmm.
Speech-type excercises helped a lot. Also being very aware of where tension
was creeping in, and then letting it go. Alexander technique was very
helpful to me then. I've been doing some work in Feldenkrais, and it is
extremely helpful in becoming aware of one's body and letting go of extra
tension. Knowing that my throat didn't have to be any more open than when I
was breathing helped. I could never think of a yawning feeling to feel
space - I did too much. The feeling of gentle surprise or smelling
something good was enough to feel a relaxed but open pharynx and throat.

Jean Marie