Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jean Marie Henderson" <jeaniebean77@h...>
Date:  Mon Dec 2, 2002  9:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Singer with heavy, dark, flat head voice

Kristina,
As a present singer, and a former saxophone/clarinet player, I have some
ideas about what might be going on. First, the clarinet takes much more air
than singing. When I tried to do both the same way, I was really
over-blowing. Also, there is a degree of mouth, jaw, and throat tension
necessary to play a wind instrument. My guess is that she is carrying this
over into her singing - probably without realizing it. One's throat has to
be open to a greater degree when playing clarinet, but if you tried to sing
that way, you'd get a back, throaty tone. Last, but certainly not least, is
that you get used to an incredible amount of air resistance when playing a
reed instrument. Not as bad as oboe, but clarinet isn't far behind. If she
is used to feeling that resistance playing clarinet, my bet is that she's
creating that resistance in her singing.
What really helped me was the concept of singing with a slimmer tone. Not
less air - I stopped the air when I thought of that - but a skinny stream of
air flowing freely. Tounge and lip trills were great for this. So were
staccato excercises.

I hope this is useful,
Jean Marie Henderson