Vocalist.org archive

From:  "EdgewoodVoiceStudio" <EdgewoodVoiceStudio@a...>
Date:  Mon Dec 2, 2002  1:47 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Analyzing health of pop vs classical tech, was Amplification

<<<<The statistics regarding this are very unfortunate in that most
people wait
over 2 years from beginning of the problem till when they visit the
doctor,
regardless of the genre. Singers, regardless of style, are often in
denial
about their problems >>>>>>>>>>>>>

Randy B. wrote the above and what he says is absolutely true, at least
in my own case. I’ve been in semi-denial for over 12 YEARS about my
vocal cord distress. Mine started through amateur and semi-professional
classical singing AND I was studying with a well known teacher in
Seattle at the time. I continued singing without realizing I needed
vocal rest (and was never advised about vocal rest or general vocal cord
health), even through a severe cold and then my problems started and
I’ve never had a complete recovery. Managing my allergies does offer
some help as well as not singing so much and I’ve improved my vocal
technique considerably since the damage was done. But, I was singing
classical music only and light opera roles and leading hymns at a
church, and my vocal cords were damaged… I don’t have nodes but they are
always swollen. Now, since I’ve been on this list I’ve learned so
much.. changed my work load and I’m not in denial anymore. As soon as I
can afford it I’m going to see Dr. Bastien in Chicago and really find
out exactly what is going on and what exactly I can do about it.

Deanna

---

emusic.com