Vocalist.org archive

From:  Joel Figen <natural@w...>
Date:  Sat Jun 3, 2000  3:22 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Lyrics to AVE MARIA

At 08:55 PM 06/02/2000 -0400, Nancy Mitchell wrote:
>Hi friends. I have spent two hours looking at lyric sites without success. I
>need the second verse and admit, not sure if it is to Bach-Gounod or
>Schubert's "Ave Maria" since I am working on both. If you can help, I'd
>really appreciate it.

On the general principle that free advice is worth what it
costs, I thought I'd jump in and put my foot in my mouth (yet
again), so here goes:

Isn't it just the standard text from the vulgate? (gospel of
luke, I think.) If your goal is to avoid buying the sheet music,
you could probably get the correct latin text from almost any
Catholic - at least from older catholics who learned it in latin.

I'm guessing that you're doing it by ear, since the words would
surely be printed in the sheet music. You could probably get the
sheet music at most music stores. but if you're doing it by ear,
and no one else will be singing, why not just make something up?

last but not least, every catholic church would probably have a
copy or two you could crib from.

emusic.com