Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Mon Nov 25, 2002  10:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Hi everyone!! New person here : )

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:58:11 -0500 John Link <johnlink@n...> wrote:

> Dawn wrote:
>
> >I am going to keep working on this till it
> kills me or till my jaw
> >drops right off my face LOL. I WILL GET THIS!
> (see how determined
> >I am?)
>
> Dawn, you may think that that attitude is part
> of the solution, but actually it it is mostly likely a major source of the
problem. I
> suggest that you do some sining as if you don't
> care how you sound. Allow youself to be lazy.

John makes a great point. Of course, none of us knows you personally, so we
can't diagnose you at a distance. But I've found in my own vocal study, I've
progressed best when I've given up a lot of my perfectionist and determined
ways. For example, at times when things have been difficult in my non-singing
life, and I've gone to my voice lesson out of habit, but expecting nothing of
myself, I've done my best singing, because I wasn't emotionally able to "try"
to be perfect.

Of course, determination and perfectionism can be great traits, especially
when channeled into tasks that are helpful to voice study, like learning a
foreign language, making translations, memorizing music and texts, doing
research, going to performances.

But, speaking only for myself, when I have allowed my perfectionism to bloom
into frustration with myself for not singing as well as I'd like to sing, then
it has impeded the very progress I longed for. Fortunately for me, I got over
it, with the help of great teachers, and the support of my fellow singers,
including this list!

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21123 Re: Hi everyone!! New person here : )John Link johnlink010254 Mon  11/25/2002
21129 Re: Hi everyone!! New person here : )Dawn crazy4jet66 Tue  11/26/2002
21127 Re: Hi everyone!! New person here : )Dawn crazy4jet66 Tue  11/26/2002

emusic.com