Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Nov 25, 2002  8:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] vocalist.org !!!

I see no disadvantage to staying with yahoogroups for the mailing list.
There may be some advantages to putting the website up on a private server
at vocalist.org - the main one being the ability to completely avoid popup
ads, etc. But I agree that the list should not exist at the whim of a
university or, indeed, of any one listowner without whom the list would be
unable to function (Marko Hotti was a wonderful listowner...until his life
overcame his ability to continue in that role; it was human nature for him
to simply "disappear" without making provisions for the continuation of
Vocalist, and I understand it perfectly - but I also understand wanting to
make sure the same thing cannot happen again).

Yahoogroups, from my own observation, has been surprisingly reliable as a
list hosting service. I haven't visited the website since it first went up
because, frankly, it's one more password I'd have to remember, and I've
already got about two dozen to keep organised.

An interesting question might be whether we can continue to reside at
Yahoo, but rename our Website with the vocalist.org domain name. Most Web
hosting services allow you to do this - to reserve a domain name and use
it on their servers. If it's a question of gaining some "status" or
"credibility" by having a .org vs. .com extension on our domain name, I
suggest we look into changing the domain name on our website without
actually physically moving the site to another server.

Karen Mercedes
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html
That man is the happiest who
is most thoroughly deluded.