Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Mon Nov 25, 2002  2:38 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Hi everyone!! New person here : )

In a message dated 11/24/02 2:15:49 PM Central Standard Time,
crazy4jet66@y... writes:

> I can't seem to grasp the jaw drop thing

Dawn,

Here is something that helped me get the "feel" of a loose jaw: Lie on your
back and relax. Pay attention to what your jaw does. It should sort of
'swing' down and back. You have to really relax, .like you were getting
ready to fall asleep. The jaw doesn't really open like "alligator" jaws. It
sort of rotates down and back. This gives a feeling of space in the back of
your mouth.

I have only recently really let go of the jaw thing and I have been working
on it for 3 years. I tend to use my jaw to articulate my words, so it is a
new feeling for me, but everything is so much easier. Also, here is a
vocalize that may help you:

sing "meeyo, meeyo, meeyo, meeyo, meeyo" on a 5 note descending scale--sol,
fa, mi, re, do. Move up by 1/2 steps. Stay in your mid-range. Concentrate
on feeling the rotation of the jaw as it drops down and back. Think about
how it feels to lie on your back and relax the jaw.

Good Luck!
Leslie

emusic.com