Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Thu Nov 21, 2002  2:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Patricia Barber recording

In a message dated 11/20/2002 2:23:14 PM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> John:
>
> I listened to the download of Barber's version of Summertime.
> Creative, inventive and very much in the pops ideal that the singer
> and instrumentalist complete the work done by Gershwin. I enjoyed it.
>
> But, and I know this will cause an argument, it is not the Summertime
> Gershwin wrote. Unlike many composers of American Standards,
> Gershwin wrote this for his opera, Porgy and Bess. When it is alterd
> as much as Barber does, and her altering is very little compared to
> some versions, it is no longer the Summertime that Gershwin wrote.
> As a completed stage work Gershwin wrote for a medium that normally
> does not re-do or re-write the score. In other words there are
> limits to the freedoms allowed.

I haven't heard it, it's great you liked it, but knowing barber (being from
Chicago) there is no doubt it is different from what gershwin wrote. That is
the point of jazz, r&b, gospel, etc. this is pretty well known. No one would
expect that within the settings of the opera, but that is part of the the
reason the modern mindset is turned off by something as rigid as opera. We
live in the age of individualism. In vocal music meaning the singer has some
ownership of the song. Someday that will pass also, but now it is what
resonates and if you want to be relevant you need to be in step or even ahead
... never behind.

By the way, is a pops singer different from a pop singer?

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21046 Re: Patricia Barber recordingJohn Link johnlink010254 Thu  11/21/2002

emusic.com