Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri Jun 2, 2000  11:48 pm
Subject:  Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors - and castrati

Melanie <mkkuolt@s...> wrote:
> My favorite on stage moment came when I entered the stage, walked
around, looked at some flowers, turned out to the audience, and began
to sing. Of course, I was playing the role of a shepherd boy.
(Endimione in Cavalli's "La Calisto") After about a phrase, a young
girl (who happened to be sitting in the front row) turned to her
mother and said (loud enough for me to hear), "Oh my GOD! That's a
woman!!" It took all I could muster up to not smirk.

I LOVE when that happens! I was done up in a bustier and g-string as
a prostitute in a local production of Rake's Progress. No one had any
idea who I was until I started singing with the men. Half the faculty
from my music department were in attendance!

-Tako

emusic.com