Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Wed Nov 20, 2002  8:13 pm
Subject:  Re: Patricia Barber recording

John:

I listened to the download of Barber's version of Summertime.
Creative, inventive and very much in the pops ideal that the singer
and instrumentalist complete the work done by Gershwin. I enjoyed it.

But, and I know this will cause an argument, it is not the Summertime
Gershwin wrote. Unlike many composers of American Standards,
Gershwin wrote this for his opera, Porgy and Bess. When it is alterd
as much as Barber does, and her altering is very little compared to
some versions, it is no longer the Summertime that Gershwin wrote.
As a completed stage work Gershwin wrote for a medium that normally
does not re-do or re-write the score. In other words there are
limits to the freedoms allowed.

Still I like what she did. It is just not better than the many
recordings done from the score by opera trained singers.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
21026 Re: Patricia Barber recordingJohn Link johnlink010254 Wed  11/20/2002
21037 Re: Patricia Barber recordingbuzzcen@a... buzzcen2000 Thu  11/21/2002
21046 Re: Patricia Barber recordingJohn Link johnlink010254 Thu  11/21/2002

emusic.com