Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sung-il Cho" <colorofspring@h...>
Date:  Fri Jun 2, 2000  9:55 pm
Subject:  Re: TECH: Falsetto -clarification

Hi Mary Beth,

I believe the studies from Bell Lab are the same or similar ones
as those cited in the other references. It used to be a little
invasive studies at that time, but I wonder why people are
not replicating it with fiberoptic cords these days.

I agree with Randy's interpretation of dampening phenomenon
seen in the old stroboscopic studies.
But I hope there will be more evidence to establish its functional
effect on the timbre or whether it can (or should?) be trained.
One may feel like dampening, but possibly in fact thinning
the cord or increasing the "supraglottal pressure".
Anyway this is a very interesting issue.

Thanks again and best wishes,
Sungil