Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Tue Nov 19, 2002  11:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002 03:11:55 EST Greypins@a... wrote:

> it's not a very complicated melody so, i
> can't imagine why you would
> have trouble.

I guess in my inarticulate way, that's my point. How can kids learn to sing a
real melody, when they don't do it in school, may not do it in church, and all
that they hear on the radio are tunes so minimal they can't teach basic
singing skills. It's really not a tune at all - it's a bunch of little melody
fragments of a few notes apiece. Sort of like the children's teasing chant
"Na na na na na" but even less interesting musically. For Madonna to sing a
real tune in the MOVIES (prerecorded and with mike an inch from her mouth) she
had to bust her butt with voice lessons. I can't blame her, because her real
talent is dancing anyway, and dancers have a fraction of the money and fame
that singers have.
> in both these statements, i don't think
> you are trying to say that you
> have a problem with being able to match pitch.
> i'm thinking you find the
> melodies mentioned to be so unmemorable, you
> can't even remember them to sing
> them. (is that close?) or, it could be that
> the 'harmonic atmosphere' is
> too foreign to you and you can't get a frame of
> reference.

I think what I mean is that all they sing is ornament, such that the actual
tune can't be discerned. As an entertainment consumer, I have no problem with
this. But a kid doesn't learn how to sing an actual melody by hearing only
ornaments. It's like hearing only an over-embellished da capo of a baroque
opera aria. Very enjoyable, but I only know what the tune is because the
first time through it's sung without embellishment.

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20994 Re: amplificationLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Wed  11/20/2002
20998 Barbara Hendricks sings GershwinJohn Link johnlink010254 Wed  11/20/2002
21000 Re: Barbara Hendricks sings Gershwinbuzzcen@a... buzzcen2000 Wed  11/20/2002
21003 Re: Barbara Hendricks sings GershwinLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Wed  11/20/2002
21004 Re: Barbara Hendricks sings GershwinJohn Link johnlink010254 Wed  11/20/2002
21007 Re: Barbara Hendricks sings GershwinLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Wed  11/20/2002
21008 Re: Barbara Hendricks sings GershwinJohn Link johnlink010254 Wed  11/20/2002
21017 Re: Barbara Hendricks sings GershwinLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Wed  11/20/2002
21009 Re: Barbara Hendricks sings GershwinJohn Link johnlink010254 Wed  11/20/2002

emusic.com