Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri Jun 2, 2000  9:41 pm
Subject:  (Fe)male Falsetto/Chest/Head and Countertenors

Hello Everyone!

Please visit my new page about head/chest registration:

http://www.mills.edu/PEOPLE/gr.pages/toda.public.html/music/analysis.html

There's been such a flurry of mail recently regarding countertenors,
falsetto, and head/chest voice. I have tried to describe my personal
vocal registration process, but it is so difficult with only words!
Sooooo.... You will find an audio file plus diagrams to illustrate
registration events as I arpeggiate across my passagio.

I hope this page demonstrates: 1) some countertenors use head voice, as
opposed to falsetto at the top 2) countertenors don't necessarily have a
"thin" lower range 3) even when using the same registration strategy as
a woman, a countertenor can still sound masculine.

Please accept my apologies in advance for the quality of the singing and
recording - I threw it together yesterday afternoon in my bedroom with a
cheap PC microphone! I do believe it is of sufficient quality to help
clarify a few things, though.

Thanks for checking it out - please email me your impressions/thoughts
at toda@m...!

-Tako Oda

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2100 Re: (Fe)male Falsetto/Chest/Head and Countertenor John Alexander Blyth   Fri  6/2/2000   2 KB
2102 Re: (Fe)male Falsetto/Chest/Head and Countertenor John Alexander Blyth   Fri  6/2/2000   4 KB

emusic.com