Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Tue Nov 19, 2002  8:11 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

In a message dated 11/18/2002 5:46:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
peggyh@i... writes:

" Going back a ways
- I can hear the sound of Madonna's HUGE hit, "Like a
Virgin" in my head.  But I can't sing it.  It's not a tune."

it's not a very complicated melody so, i can't imagine why you would
have trouble.

" And pop singers whom I know
can sing, like Celine Dion or Whitney Houston, the way they
choose to sing, I can't hear the tune - though no doubt if I
saw the sheet music, there's melody there."

in both these statements, i don't think you are trying to say that you
have a problem with being able to match pitch. i'm thinking you find the
melodies mentioned to be so unmemorable, you can't even remember them to sing
them. (is that close?) or, it could be that the 'harmonic atmosphere' is
too foreign to you and you can't get a frame of reference.

mike

emusic.com