Vocalist.org archive

From:  Melanie <mkkuolt@s...>
Date:  Fri Jun 2, 2000  9:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors - and castrati

>It has everything to do with self-perpetuated gender stereotypes. If
>countertenors were common, people would eventually learn to distinguish
>them from women. When they heard a high voice, they would ask themselves
>"hmmm, is that a woman or a countertenor?" Of course they are not that
>many countertenors because it is difficult for men to put themselves in
>a situation where people will think they are attempting some form of
>transvestism.
>
>-Tako

My favorite on stage moment came when I entered the stage, walked around,
looked at some flowers, turned out to the audience, and began to sing. Of
course, I was playing the role of a shepherd boy. (Endimione in Cavalli's
"La Calisto") After about a phrase, a young girl (who happened to be
sitting in the front row) turned to her mother and said (loud enough for me
to hear), "Oh my GOD! That's a woman!!" It took all I could muster up to
not smirk.

Melanie

Melanie Kuolt--mezzo-soprano
University of Wisconsin at Madison
School of Music
Department of Women's Studies
mkkuolt@s...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2103 Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors - and castrat Tako Oda   Fri  6/2/2000   2 KB

emusic.com