Vocalist.org archive

From:  Martin Bell <MartinBell@r...>
Date:  Mon Nov 18, 2002  6:10 pm
Subject:  Re: High School

Christine,
I think there is a marked difference in the percentage of female college
freshman who've had formal voice instruction and male freshman. You're right,
many, probably most, entering female voice students have studied(and many of
them singing rep their totally vocally, musically and emotionally unprepared
for. How many of us have had to explain to 18 year old sopranos that maybe they
should wait a while before attempting to sing SPINTO arias!) The percentage of
males entering who've had significant training is still much much lower. I would
imagine this is because many boy's voices are still changing through out high
school and that there's still a stigma against boys singing, especially
classical music.

20996 Re: High SchoolCynthia Donnell   Wed  11/20/2002

emusic.com