Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Mon Nov 18, 2002  6:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] versatility

> >I wrote in part:
>>

>>>. . . This sound, the 'detuned' chorus, sets up harmonies,
>>>
>Never send an opinion on vocalist after giving three performances in a
>large choir and sitting typing with one eye open at two in the morning.
> That's my new ruling. The word I meant to type was harmonics, not
>harmonies.

Actually the correct term is "beats", which refers to the pulsing
that is heard when two tones close in pitch are heard together. The
rate of the beating is equal to the difference in the frequencies.
For example, if one tone is at 440 cycles per second and another at
435, then there will be 5 beats per second.

"Harmonic" is a synonym for "overtone" or "partial". These are pure
ones that vibrate at a multiple of the fundamental frequency. For
example, the A on the bottom of the bass clef has a fundamental
frequency of 110 (two octave below the 440 A and so we divide by 2
twice). Its harmonics (or partials or overtones) are at 110, 220,
440, 880, etc.

John Link

http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs: