Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Mon Nov 18, 2002  1:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] versatility

In a message dated 11/17/2002 11:48:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jeaniebean77@h... writes:

> Granted, teaching vocal
> technique to large groups is a challenge, but I am stunned at how many
> choir
> directors and conductors don't understand the basics of the way voices
> work.
> Otherwise, how could so many of them think that eliminating vibrato will
> solve their choir's intonation problems? Or to sing melismas with a "ha"
> so
> the note will be (they think) clean and together. I understand the
> problems, but if they had taken a basic pedagogy class, how could they
> think
> that the above techniques would solve the above problems?

It is only VERY recently that conductors have been required (in many places)
to take a pedagogy class. I had none as an undergraduate music education
(vocal) major. There are lots of people out there with a great deal of
organizational, conducting, musical training, but not necessarily vocal,
directing choirs.

Lynda Lacy-Boltz
Raleigh NC

emusic.com