Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jean Marie Henderson" <jeaniebean77@h...>
Date:  Mon Nov 18, 2002  4:47 am
Subject:  versatility

This has been a fascinating discussion.
Observations: Many of my students sing in choruses or choirs. It is
shocking how little vocal instruction they recieve. Granted, teaching vocal
technique to large groups is a challenge, but I am stunned at how many choir
directors and conductors don't understand the basics of the way voices work.
Otherwise, how could so many of them think that eliminating vibrato will
solve their choir's intonation problems? Or to sing melismas with a "ha" so
the note will be (they think) clean and together. I understand the
problems, but if they had taken a basic pedagogy class, how could they think
that the above techniques would solve the above problems? It puzzles me.

On the differences between pop and classical singing - Randy, I think I
understand what you are saying about the differences. It jives with my
experience of the two. Specifically, that the mixes and the shape (or
vowels) are a little different, but not vocally harmful. Luckily, I have
good voice teacher who understands the importance of chest and head mix in
classical singing.
My question: Who (other than Dawn Upshaw) does both styles well? Would
training in different styles interfere with excelling in one? And I wonder
if those who play instruments like trumpet or violin have these difficulties
in switching styles. Is Wynton Marsalis an admirable classical player, or
does he always retain that jazz flavor? Can Itzsak Perlman's virtuosity
interfere with his ability to play klezmer fiddle tunes? Are there any
programs of vocal study that emphasize learning to sing all styles?

You've started me thinking . . . this is good.

Jean Marie Henderson

20960 Re: versatilitybuzzcen@a... buzzcen2000 Mon  11/18/2002
20962 Re: versatilityDean FH Macy   Mon  11/18/2002
20967 Re: versatilityKaren Mercedes   Mon  11/18/2002
20968 Re: versatilityJohn Link johnlink010254 Mon  11/18/2002
20990 Re: versatilitybjjocelyn   Tue  11/19/2002
21001 Re: versatilityLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Wed  11/20/2002
21071 Re: versatilitybjjocelyn   Fri  11/22/2002
21085 Re: versatilityLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Sat  11/23/2002
20964 Re: versatilityLYNDA313@a...   Mon  11/18/2002

emusic.com