Vocalist.org archive

From:  LYNDA313@a...
Date:  Mon Nov 18, 2002  1:30 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] High Schools- Voice

In a message dated 11/17/2002 8:24:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Mezzoid@w... writes:

> One of my students went to a performing arts HS and was a drama major.
> There was no crossover between the drama and music depts and he never
> received ANY music training - and he has a lovely bass-baritone voice that
> should've been developed earlier. He started taking voice lessons
> privately from me his senior year. I sent him off to a college audition
> last year and he felt very underprepared - not in his literature, but just
> in his background. All of the other kids auditioning had been studying
> since they were 13 or so.

Hi, Chris, nice to see you!

And on the other hand, at the HS for Performing and Visual Arts where my
daughter graduated and now teaches, things have changed. In fact, she
teaches a class in vocal production for the drama majors! She says that they
are often better students than the voice majors...they are more "free" and
willing to try what she suggests.

Lynda Lacy-Boltz
Raleigh, NC

emusic.com