Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Cynthia Donnell" <csdonnell@m...>
Date:  Mon Nov 18, 2002  12:59 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] High Schools- Voice

> Is it more worthwhile for a student going to high school to go to a
> performing arts high school or a regular one... My daughter is in 8th
> grade, and is pondering on an arts high school. I would personally like
to > save the $30**** plus to board etc., but wonder if this is something
that > is really necessary.

I encourage you to screen the performing arts high school as throughly as
you would a college. The quality of the program is dependent on its
faculty. My experience is that some programs are strong and some graduate
students who can't test into a college first year theory program. The
quality of the voice instruction, likewise, is all over the map.

If money is a concern why not consider private theory, piano and voice
lessons for your daughter while she goes to a public high school. She'll
get the information and you'll be money ahead for college. I doubt that
many, if any, of the singers in the public eye got their start in a
performing arts H.S. Most singers haven't studied voice before beginning
college - and frankly I like it that way. It's tough to undo poor teaching.

Just my 2¢
Cindy Donnell

emusic.com