Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Sun Nov 17, 2002  8:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: classical isn't the only way (was amplification)

Ah, now having just posted a message about "where did it all go wrong", then
maybe here is a clue. I will admit that many choral directors here in the
UK have no clue. Mainly because most of them are organists and not singers.
Most of them do not properly understand the idea of registers in the voice
(who does?). They mainly think that sop, alto, ten and bass are extra stops
on the organ, and that to play them you have to wave your arms rather than
press the correct notes on a keyboard :-)
Maybe this is the source of some of the criticisms levelled at "classically
trained" voices, and not the good voice teachers.

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK