Vocalist.org archive

From:  Rich <rich318@y...>
Date:  Wed Nov 13, 2002  7:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] High Schools- Voice

Hi Lisa,
Just my two cents. Maybe not the case for everyone.
I went to a "magnet" school for the performing arts. My parents didn't pay
extra for me to attend, but I can say that music classes, or my excitement for
music in high school helped my grades in all the other areas of study.
I was a smart kid who got bored easily and much of high school is pretty boring,
but having three choirs and on and off semesters of orchestra (violin) were
enough to keep me interested and going to class, all of them.
My feeling is that music saved me from being a burn-out or drop-out when it came
to school.
I graduated in the top 10% of my class, not because I loved math or history, but
because in between the unendurable, I had classes that I loved.
If your daughter has something worth going to school for, something that gives
her self-esteem and a sense of accomplishment, I think she'll have the impetus
to do anything she wants after high school even if it turns out to be something
other than music.
I could be way off, because I'm only speaking from my own experience, but my
guess is most kids are alot like I was, not really interested in most classes
and with very few opportunities to gain self-esteem the way music and
performance can.
I think your money would be well-spent on a performing arts school even if your
daughter ultimately becomes a neuro-surgeon or an accountant (Lord knows, the
world could use some honest ones!).
Rich Hazel
Lisa Heney <lheney@s...> wrote:Hi:

I have lurked for a few months, picking up tidbits of information- thanks so
much, but I have a question for all of you.

Is it more worthwhile for a student going to high school to go to a performing
arts high school or a regular one... My daughter is in 8th grade, and is
pondering on an arts high school. I would personally like to save the $30****
plus to board etc., but wonder if this is something that is really necessary.

She would eventually like to go to a conservatory for "college", but I thought I
would ask your opinions on this.

Any input, schools etc. would help.

Thanks so much... This is such an interesting list.

Lisa