Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Sat Nov 16, 2002  1:09 am
Subject:  Amplification

Boy, we did have a little discussion while I was asleep!

Those of you who have visited my website know some of my objections to
onstage amplification.
(http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/SOBManifesto.htm)

If it's done well, I shouldn't be able to tell that the show is miked... at
least not until well into the second act. I shouldn't see wires sticking
out (or worse, little headphone things over people's mouths). The sound
should appear to come from the actor on stage, not the speakers on each
side. And I DEFINITELY don't want to hear static!

I can't comment on the current crop of pop singers, as I don't listen to it
much anymore. But I do like listening to jazz and traditional country (as
in "O Brother, Where Art Thou?"). I think my classical training has
actually made my "non-opera" singing better, as I can now do funny things
without hurting myself.

I used to be allergic to chest voice, mostly because my chest singing sounds
like a starling with a chest cold. But other folks tell me it sounds fine.

Elizabeth Finkler
San Jose, California
mightymezzo@h...
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo

We all live in a place called "23 skiddoo." --John Prine