Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 15, 2002  5:43 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] amplification

In a message dated 11/15/2002 12:32:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
leskayc@a... writes:

> But she does NOT sound like
> your average pop singer. She sounds like Kate. The stars of today all
> sound
> just alike to me and they all seem to be singing in their speaking voices.

leslie,

the point of using one's speaking voice to sing with, is to bring that
same expression that one has spent a whole life (so far) growing into, to
singing. unbeknownst to us, we make sounds that suggest our emotions with
our voices. most of us, when we speak, are thinking about what we are
trying to say. our emotional condition is often reflected in our tone of
voice. if one can accommodate those few differrences (specified pitch,
wider range and elongated word length) between speaking and singing, then one
can carry over the same expression from speaking into singing. all that is
required of the singer is to make their point and allow themselves to react,
if at all, to what they are saying. theoretically, this makes for more
earnest expression where, constructing a tone, which is fairly common in
classical singing, is more akin to fake laughter.

btw, who is kate?

mike

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20914 Re: amplificationLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Sat  11/16/2002

emusic.com