Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Annelies Dille" <annelies_dille@h...>
Date:  Fri Jun 2, 2000  12:51 pm
Subject:  Re: my singing exam

--- In vocalist-temporary@egroups.com, Isabelle Bracamonte
<ibracamonte@y...> wrote:
> Annelies --
>
> I'm so glad it went well for you. What was your
> program, if you don't mind my asking? And was this an
> exam you had to "pass" for continuation in your
> studies, or were they educational juries for the
> faculty to assess your progress?
>
> Isabelle B.
>

> =====
> Isabelle Bracamonte
> San Francisco, CA
> ibracamonte@y...

Isabelle,
Of course I don't mind you asking my program. Why would I? :-)

1. SMETANA, Bedrich Endlich allein – Wie fremd und todt
recitativo and aria from Marie
'Der Verkaufte Braut'

2. BERG, Alban Nacht
`Sieben Frühe Lieder'

3. DEBUSSY, Claude L'année en vain chasse l'année!
recitativo and aria from Lia
'L' Enfant Prodigue'

4. MAHLER, Gustav - Wer hat dies Liedlein erdacht
- Rheinlegendchen
'Des Knaben Wunderhorn'

5. MOZART, Wolfgang Amadeus Temerari - Come scoglio
Recitativo and aria from Fiordiligi
`Così fan tutte'

6. WAGNER, Richard Träume
'Wesendoncklieder'

7. PUCCINI, Giacomo Sola, perduta, abbandonata
Aria from Manon
`Manon Lescaut'

This was my final singing exam to get my Master degree in Music
(option singing). I don't know how that is called in the USA. Here in
Belgium you can't study music in a university. You have to go to a
music high school. The education takes 5 years (you normally start it
when you have finished your secondary school, that is at the age of
18) The education consists of a broad theoretical base and of course
more practical (singing) subjects. Every end of the school year you
have to do a singing exam, where you will be assessed by a bunch of
vocal teachers of the school to see your progress. In your 5th and
last year you have to sing a final exam. It's more like a concert (45
minutes) with public. You will be assessed by a jury, which consists
of singing teachers from another music high school, concert
singers, ... They have to give you points to get your degree. So when
you made this exam, you should, in theory, be ready to step into the
professional world of singing and of teaching singing (when you did
your pedagogical program also).
So now I was pronounced 'professional singer'! But of course I still
want to study more, I'm only 23 years old. That's why I want to go to
Germany. Here in (the very small country) Belgium the chances to have
a career are very slim, especially when you want to sing opera. We
don't even have a good opera education and only 3 opera houses where
almost no Belgian singers sing!

So, I hope I made it a little more clear.
Would you be so kind to tell me how this goes in the USA and what you
do at the moment?

Annelies

emusic.com