Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Tue Nov 12, 2002  6:48 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Digest Number 1328

Morgan Godfrey <semplico_blu@y...> wrote:

>Dear List,
>Thank you all for you reply 's the last time I wrote
>in. I have been given permission to direct a one act
>opera this summer with the opera program here and the
>only one act im familiar with is a Hand of Bridge by
>Barber/Menotti Which is very good and I would do it
>but we produced that opera last year. I tried
>researching some at the library but alas our library
>leaves much to be desired. so I was hoping for some
>suggestions. Does anyone have any? Thanx so much!
>Morgan
>student at Stephen F. Austin State University

Morgan,
You've gotten some wonderful suggestions already, but I thought
I'd point you to another resource -- Operas in One Act: A Production
Guide, by W. Franklin Summers (The Scarecrow Press, Lanham, MD., & London,
1997). This concentrates mostly on one-act operas in English or available
in English translation. Each entry lists composer, title, librettist,
duration, cast, instrumentation, difficulty of piano accompaniment (if
applicable), style, setting, scenes, synopsis, performance notes, premiere
date and place, and where materials (scores) may be obtained. A lot of
information in a page and a half or two pages! There are also three
indices -- by composer, by opera title, and by performance times ("10
minutes or less; 11-20 minutes; etc.") -- plus a directory of publishers
and sources (addresses, phone & fax #s). Check your school library --
chances are, they already have it, or could get it for you via interlibrary
loan. Good luck!

Leslie Jones

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; contralto
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Music