Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@n...>
Date:  Tue Nov 12, 2002  3:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Donald Miller at Mount Sinai Hospital 11/9

Thank you, Lloyd, for the encouragement to hear Donald Miller. I
attended his presentation and found it very interesting. I think he
did quite a good job presenting inherently technical information to
an audience with quite variable background, including many who said
they avoided math classes whenever possible. He has developed a
program, VoceVista to do real-time spectral analysis. You can get the
program here, for $30 I think he said:

http://www.vocevista.com/

Much of what he presented Saturday is on that page.

Unfortunately, VoceVista is for PC only and there are no plans to
make a version for Mac. I did some searching on the internet and
found Armadillo, a free real-time spectral analysis program for Macs:

http://ben.music.uiuc.edu/beaucham/software/armadillo/

I've downloaded Armadillo and have been having a blast with it. I can
tell you without doubt that there is such a thing as a singer's
formant.

I encourage all of you to get one of these programs and take a look
at the spectrogram of your own voice singing various
pitch/vowel/volume combinations. I have no idea whether this sort of
experimentation will lead to any immediate practical applications
(i.e., in the voice studio), but it sure is fun and makes everything
I've ever read about acoustics so much more meaningful.

John Link

P.S. Here's another link to a page that has two related shareware
progams (PC only!) called PitchMatch and SpeechPitch:

http://www.visualizationsoftware.com/voicetools.html#STUDIO

http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink
Check out my CDs:
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink2 (John Link Sextet)
http://www.cdBaby.com/JohnLink (John Link Vocal Quintet)

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20843 Re: Donald Miller at Mount Sinai Hospital 11/9Tracey vocalistuk Wed  11/13/2002

emusic.com