Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Tue Nov 12, 2002  12:22 am
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] whooping cough

Yes, we still can get whooping cough. The immunity for pertussis
(whooping cough is caused by Pasturella pertussis) wears off by
adolescence. Whooping cough is really a danger only for infants who
because of their small airways can not breathe well when they have the
mucus production and spasmodic cough that pertussis causes. That's why
we vaccinate against it.

Many adolescents and adults get pertussis. Often a persistent barking
cough is due to pertussis infection in the trachea. Fortunately it
responds to treatment with tetracycline, erythromycin or the newer
versions of erythromycin: Biaxin and Zithromax. The cough may linger
for a few weeks if there has been a lot of inflammation. If it is not
improving, the person may also have mild asthma.

It is OK to sing whenever she can do it without coughing.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

emusic.com