Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Fri Jun 2, 2000  7:34 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Bach, Baroque and Countertenors - and castrati

from Tako
>. It is so strange,
>though - these misconceptions seem confined primarily to Western
>classical music! Heavy metal lead singers are as macho as they come, yet
>they wear eyeliner and sing countertenor. I don't believe there is
>anything inherent to countertenoring that confuses people about gender -
>Western "polite" society has just come up with some arbitrary standards
>for masculinity and femininity.

Dear Tako,
Thank you, too for the fine interchange. As to the above
it seems to me that it's quite a simple reaction: they hear a female voice,
look up and see a man and all the old squeaky voice cliche jokes come
bubbling to the surface. Kentucky Fried reaction.
One of my friends who had no thought for singing came
to a production I was in and smilingly informed me the next day he'd
never been so embarrassed in his life. I was prepared for that reaction
from what I understood to be his musical likes and experience.
I was really quite good, too:) Actually very good!
Pinafore, Ralph Rackstraw.
Best Wishes Reg

emusic.com