Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Mon Nov 11, 2002  2:17 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: nats and broadway divisions

Dear Mike:

Whou wrote:
> i wonder what wagner would have thought about amplification. the
>fact that he designed the orchestra pit at bayreuth as it is, leads one to
>think that he might have been in favor of amplification.

COMMENT: Not an impossible thought. But it is well to keep in
mind that what Wagner wanted in terms of sound was the wider sonic
palette that a larger orchestra could give, not necessarily a
consistent increased volume of sound. In terms of singers he wanted
those singer/actors who could carry a heroic kind of role but he did
not demand, nor even desire the large voices that we now associate
with Wagner's operas. He is quoted as saying that he preferred the
"bel canto" voice for his works. It was for this reason that he had
built the Bayreuth theatre with its special pit that places the
orchestra partially under the stage. With this arrangement the
orchestra sound could be rich and full but it would not cover up the
singers because it emerged from the front of the pit and was thrown
back on stage by a reflective half shell where it mixed with the
voices and then emerged into the hall.

I doubt that even with today's vast knowledge of electronic
amplification it would be possible to create this rich, blended sound
for the theatre solely through the use of amplification.

As an aside. When we redesigned our Ardrey Auditorium at Norther
Arizona University for the two summer productions of Wagner's Ring
Cycle done by Arizona Opera, we took out the wall at the back of our
orchestra pit and opened the pit back into the trap room under the
stage. The orchestra seating descended down, away from the conductor
much as it does in Bayreuth and the pit would now hold up to a 100
piece orchestra. This arrangement together with a heavily raked
stage made it nearly impossible for the 98 piece Wagner orchestra to
cover the singers. Some German newspapers spoke of Ardrey Auditorium
as being an even better theatre for Wagner operas than Bayreuth
--
Lloyd W. Hanson

emusic.com