Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Nov 8, 2002  9:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] re: nats and broadway divisions

In a message dated 11/8/2002 1:50:25 PM Central Standard Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

> . We
> don't need someone else to tell us what is best but we do need to
> exercise or discretion in selecting what is best if we are not to
> loose our sense of "taste" altogether.

It is not a case of physically damaging singing being passed over in this
contest, it is exactly what you point out in that certain groups of people do
not have the knowledge base to make accurate judgments. In this case it is
the judges. It was obvious from the results that their rather ivory tower
ideas got in the way of objective measures of the genre ... if it came out of
chest it was ignored, if it was sung in a hooty, disconnected head voice it
won. You tell me which is more consistent with the genre today. And that is
where we live now. Ideas, aesthetics and methods change over time to reflect
the attitudes of that period. We may not like it, but that's the way it is,
always has been and always will be. If Heather Headley, Barbra Streisand, or
Linda Eder were in this competition they would have lost out... is that
accurate judging?

If you're going to ethically judge a division you need to know what today's
standards are, not ones of antiquity.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com