Vocalist.org archive

From:  "dramcol71" <dramcol71@y...>
Date:  Fri Nov 8, 2002  5:20 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Why am I tense for my high notes?

This may sound remedial, but are you drinking enough water? A lot of
my literature sits up there (dramatic col. stuff) and if I am even
the slightest bit dehydrated I can sense it up there.

When you are singing at home and it is going well, stop and analyze
what is working. Are you using more breath, or less? Sometimes if I
am trying to hard (for example, on that last lick in O zittre nicht)
the f just doesn't ring. I have to back off on the breath pressure a
little and "let it go", rather than pressing harder. What approach
works for you at home? connected or separated... Staccato seems to
work better for me. What vowel shapes are easiest? For me, a vowel
posture more similiar to short "a" (like in cat) rather than a
open "ah" rings more easily.

As someone else wrote... these notes may not be the most important to
your singing right now. Unless you are singing arias that demand
them, maybe take a break from singing in the stratosphere for a
while. One more thought. Make sure you are communicating openly
with your teacher. If you do not feel you can trust your teacher,
then it is difficult to relax and sing.

Best of luck to you.