Vocalist.org archive

From:  "chenweijie81" <chenweijie81@y...>
Date:  Fri Nov 8, 2002  11:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Are bass-baritones considered rare in terms of baritone voice category???

Dear Barbara,
thanks for the help.I think people might really think
there are two types of bass-baritones.Frankly speaking,my singing
range lies somewhere from #F4 to F5.So what it is,my voice haven't
formally been vocally trained.So I guess that with further training,I
would be able to sing lower and higher.I understand in the past,there
wasn't so much classification about the different colors of the same
type of voices.For instance,sopranos were given almost every
different arias requiring different colors of sopranos to
sing.Afterall they were experts in using the techniques of bel canto
style.That makes me wonder if the singers in the past were actually
much better than singers nowadays since they were taught without so
much confusion about the terms in singing which came out these
years.Verdi baritones are also to substain G5 notes for quite a long
time in some arias if I am not wrong.Anyway I am definitely a
baritone since I don't feel too comfortable singing too low or too
high.I will look the answers in Opera-L.Thanks... .

From Weijie

> I think that you may find some answers on the archives of Opera-L.
And
> unlike the old Vocalist, Opera-L does have good archives. (To add
to the
> confusion, I know that are some think there are two different types
of
> bass-baritones. So anytime the term is used, you may still have to
figure
> out what type of voice the user is referring to.) I am not a
expert on
> baritones, but I do listen to opera. Verdi baritones are not bass
> baritones. To sing Verdi, baritones must have a substantial vocie
with good
> high notes. So baritones such as F-D or Terfel who not comfortable
with the
> high notes, but have a good low range would instead specialize in
such
> bass-baritone roles as the one in "The Flying Dutchman,"
>
> Barbara Roberts

emusic.com