Vocalist.org archive

From:  GWendel Yee <gwyee@r...>
Date:  Tue Nov 5, 2002  9:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] How long should one warm up his/her voice before singing???

At 10:50 AM 11/5/02 -0800, Margaret L. Harrison wrote:
>So, rather than "warm up", I like to think in terms of vocalizing to reinforce
>good vocal technique for singing. When I start vocalize, I should have a
>clear idea in mind as to what I hope to accomplish by the various exercises I
>do. The first step might be to have my breath working the way I want to.
>Then I might focus on making good vowels in various parts of my voice. And so
>forth.

Good answer Peg! My "warm-up" consists of getting those parts of me moving
(including my brain) that I need to sing: There are different vocalises to
keep my tongue forward, to make sure vowels are clear, to cross the passagi
a few times, to check whether my "sound is forward" (boy, does that sound
mystical!), and to wake up my lower abdominals and diaphragm, etc. These
were given to me by my teacher for my particular problems; but I try not to
beat myself up with them. I do these before rehearsal. Then the director
has other exercises to "wake us up", and make sure we're listening to each
other.

GWendel, T

emusic.com