Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Margaret L. Harrison"<peggyh@i...>
Date:  Tue Nov 5, 2002  6:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] How long should one warm up his/her voice before singing???

On Tue, 05 Nov 2002 09:59:23 -0000 chenweijie81 <chenweijie81@y...>
wrote:

> Hi vocalists out there,
> I have quite an interesting
> question over here to ask.Anyway as u all know we should always warm up our
voices before
> singing so as to have a mental and physical
> preparation of our voice.But how long should one really warm up his/her
voice???And how do u truly know that u have really warm up your
> voice already???

Good question - I think the start of an answer is to define "warm up" in terms
of one's voice. We talk a little, and our voice is warmed up, the way our
legs are warmed up after we walk a little.

I think the vocal "warm-up" is a term that makes a lot of people think
vocalising is like doing jumping jacks in gym, and leads some choral directors
to have a group do intermniable, intricate exercises that have little to do
with preparing to sing with good vocal technique.

So, rather than "warm up", I like to think in terms of vocalizing to reinforce
good vocal technique for singing. When I start vocalize, I should have a
clear idea in mind as to what I hope to accomplish by the various exercises I
do. The first step might be to have my breath working the way I want to.
Then I might focus on making good vowels in various parts of my voice. And so
forth.

If you're studying with a teacher, and you don't know the objectives of the
vocaleses you do together, you might ask your teacher waht the objectives are
of the various vocaleses you do at the beginning of the lesson. This can help
you do them on your own, and work towards the same objectives in your
individual practice, as you do during your voice lesson.

Peggy

Margaret Harrison, Alexandria, Virginia, USA.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20770 Re: How long should one warm up his/her voice before singing???GWendel Yee gwyee2redshift Tue  11/5/2002

emusic.com