Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barb Roberts <mikebarb@n...>
Date:  Sun Nov 3, 2002  10:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Are bass-baritones considered rare in terms of baritone voice category???

chenweijie81 wrote:

> And what voice quality
> of the baritone makes a bass-baritone??? I understand the bass
> baritone voice has most of the characteristics of a dramatic baritone
> but have a slightly lower range and a much darker tone quality. It
> easily gives the impression that it is producing lower pitches than
> it actually is. However can a bass baritone be lyric too with the
> most characteristics of a dramatic baritone??? Are bass-baritones
> considered Verdi baritones??? And is there any difference between
> bass-baritone and Helden baritone or are they just the same???
>
> >From Baritone Weijie

I think that you may find some answers on the archives of Opera-L. And
unlike the old Vocalist, Opera-L does have good archives. (To add to the
confusion, I know that are some think there are two different types of
bass-baritones. So anytime the term is used, you may still have to figure
out what type of voice the user is referring to.) I am not a expert on
baritones, but I do listen to opera. Verdi baritones are not bass
baritones. To sing Verdi, baritones must have a substantial vocie with good
high notes. So baritones such as F-D or Terfel who not comfortable with the
high notes, but have a good low range would instead specialize in such
bass-baritone roles as the one in "The Flying Dutchman,"

Barbara Roberts

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20781 Re: Are bass-baritones considered rare in terms of baritone voice cachenweijie81 chenweijie81 Fri  11/8/2002

emusic.com