Vocalist.org archive

From:  "chenweijie81" <chenweijie81@y...>
Date:  Fri Nov 1, 2002  3:33 am
Subject:  Re: Are bass-baritones considered rare in terms of baritone voice category???

Dear Tako,
well it would seem to me that bass-baritone looks like a
substitute for bass to sing the bass arias from what u have said.Well
I can only say that bass voices are definitely the darkest of all the
male voices.And I guess the other reason is that people tend to
prefer the higher voices than the lower voices???It seems that it is
more exciting to hear the soprano soar through the high notes than a
bass booming the low notes???What do u think of that???

From Weijie

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., "Tako Oda" <toda@m...> wrote:
> I've also heard people use bass-baritone and basso-cantate
> interchangeably in early/sacred music circles. This usage has
nothing
> to with the German Fach system, I'm sure, but it seems to be the
> preferred voice type for certain kinds of bass arias that really
> move, like "Eilt!" from Bach's St. John's Passion.
>
> Max van Egmond and William Parker are examples of this "cantate"
type
> of bass voice. I've actually seen Parker billed as a bass-baritone
> before, if I'm not imagining things.
>
> It seems to me like many company rosters pile their bass-baritones
in
> the "bass" column, perhaps for no other reason than it would
> otherwise be a lonely column. True basses are really much rarer
than
> bass-baritones, however we choose to categorize them.
>
> Tako

emusic.com