Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Oct 31, 2002  1:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Re: Are bass-baritones considered rare in terms...

In a message dated 10/31/2002 8:12:40 AM Eastern Standard Time,
ingo_d@y... writes:

> Interesting. So, what are the 'climax' notes for the major voice
> types? (I did a bit of looking on the 'net and couldn't find
> anything.)

ingo,

i'm not surprised that you didn't find anything on the net for this.
it is not an idea that i have seen discussed much. bernd weikl once spoke
of it in connection with don giovanni's 'champagne' aria vs. 'largo al
factotum'. though the writing in these two arias is roughly similar, he
felt that the former was too low for him to really be incisive with it,
finding the latter more suitable to such treatment.

i also believe that tessitura figures into the categorization of a
voice. despite the ability fine singers have in dealing with higher
tessituras, their ability does not change the fact that their more natural
tessitura is still more easily managed for them. in my view,
fischer-dieskau's higher range is significantly lighter, relative to his low
range, than is in evidence in other baritones, even the more lyric baritones
(prey, hampson, gino quilico, etc.). and, in comparing his singing to that
of his student, andreas schmidt, who sings so much like dieskau, one can see
that the younger singer seems capable of much more power in his high range.
for schmidt, that approach to singing is a choice where, for fischer-dieskau,
i believe it is more of a necessity.

mike

emusic.com