Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Jean Marie Henderson" <jeaniebean77@h...>
Date:  Wed Oct 30, 2002  8:54 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] I know this was addressed before, but...

Jodie,
I have found that correct placement, as well as abscence of tension, helps
those transitions. For beginners, the transition from head to chest is
often easier and more relaxed. However, sometimes breath connection is
better in acsending passages.
Sometimes making really forward sounds, like [i] or nasal sounds eases the
transition. Then you can carry that feeling over to the regular vowels.
Also, an even flow of breath is key. I've seen many students slow or stop
the air when anticipating a register change. When students anticipate that
change, they often do things to try to control it - like grab in the throat
or stop the air. If that is the case, try things that are not singing, like
lip trills or ghostie sounds. It can be very freeing.
Also, vowels really only modify at and above the passagio. But not as much
as you would think. The basic things like air flow and placement will help
you more I think.
Hope that helps,
Jean Marie