Vocalist.org archive

From:  Anthony Howden <antnee1027@y...>
Date:  Wed Oct 30, 2002  2:58 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Re: Are bass-baritones considered rare in terms of baritone voice category???

I think that I go through the same thing... I can hit a low bass C while @ the
same time I can hit a Tenor G-Ab soooo am I a bass-baritone/bass/baritone. I
consider myself a baritone due to my speaking voice! I really hate
classifications too. B/c people think that I am a bass then they shove me down
to singing low or assume that I can't sing high!!! That irritates me sooo much.
That is why I really want to master speech level singing sooo that I can
solidify my upper range. Sorry for the ranting...
Anthony
thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...> wrote:
Having studied with one and been friends with the other, both of these
artists considered themselves baritones. Artists are rarely responsible
for how they are billed; ask any mezzo how many times she's been billed as
a soprano.

Someone earlier mentioned Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau as a bass-baritone: I
have never seen him billed as such either.

Mark

"Sing on the interest, not on the principal" - Florence Page Kimball, to
her student Leontyne Price
"The voice is not a fist." - Fritz Wunderlich
"I sing with a slim voice." - Birgit Nilsson

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Tako Oda wrote:

> Max van Egmond and William Parker are examples of this "cantate" type
> of bass voice. I've actually seen Parker billed as a bass-baritone
> before, if I'm not imagining things.

HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20737 Re: Are bass-baritones considered rare in terms of baritone voice cachenweijie81 chenweijie81 Fri  11/1/2002
20738 Re: Are bass-baritones considered rare in terms of baritone voice cachenweijie81 chenweijie81 Fri  11/1/2002

emusic.com