Vocalist.org archive

From:  "John Messmer, M.D." <jjm23@p...>
Date:  Mon Oct 28, 2002  10:58 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist] Lactose and echinacea

Re: Lactose intolerance

Many people CAN eat cheese despite lactose intolerance; not the sliced
stuff they call cheese wrapped in plastic. Real fermented, aged cheese
may be tolerated. Even if not, you can buy Lactaid in most drug stores.
It is the enzyme you lack. You take it with any lactose containing food
and it breaks down the lactose for you. They also have milk pretreated
with lactase (the enzyme).

Re: echinacea

The data is conflicting but I think there is a role for this at the
extreme early beginning of a viral upper respiratory infection. It is
not effective if taken daily. The immune system should NOT be
constantly boosted. There may even be some argument that the immune
system will respond more slowly if constantly boosted. What is NOT
clear is whether or not this can provoke inflammatory bowel disease,
rheumatoid arthritis, lupus or other immune diseases, but generally it
is recommended NOT to use is constantly if you have an autoimmune
disease.

If you want to stay healthy: use no tobacco; exercise regularly; eat a
well balanced diet (another whole topic in itself); get 7-8 hours sleep
each night; NEVER touch your nose or face or eyes unless you have first
washed your hands. Most of us infect ourselves by stuff we have on our
hands, not directly from others in our immediate area.

John

John Messmer, M.D.
Assistant Professor, Family and Community Medicine
Penn State Hershey Medical Center

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date
20713 Norwegian SingerLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Wed  10/30/2002
20726 Re: Norwegian SingerMargaret L. Harrison peggyliebman Thu  10/31/2002
20728 Re: Norwegian SingerLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Thu  10/31/2002
20727 Re: Norwegian SingerDean FH Macy   Thu  10/31/2002
20732 Re: Norwegian SingerKarin Mandix kmandix Thu  10/31/2002
20733 Norwegian Singereledw@a... eledw99 Fri  11/1/2002
20734 Re: Norwegian SingerLloyd W. Hanson lwh1 Fri  11/1/2002

emusic.com