Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Oct 22, 2002  5:30 pm
Subject:  Re: Whistle Voice WAS: Falsetto

Dear Erica,

I'm almost certain Carey is using whistle voice, as opposed to a true
flageolet (like a coloratura has). She never connects her lower
voices with this high register and the tone is completely different.
I don't believe there is full adduction (if any at all) in this
register. Anyone know for sure what it looks like?

And no, it's not unique to women. I can produce it, though I try not
to any more. It requires vocal tension, at least for me. The range
for me is from high tenor C to the A above the Queen of the Night F.
It never bridges gracefully with my regular countertenor voice.

Tako

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...> wrote:
> What type of sound is it that Mariah Carey used when
> singing in an ultra-high range? I have thought of it as
> "whistle tones," without really knowing what that is.
> Is it a type of falsetto? Is it simply a unique
> phenomenon that only some female voices have? What are
> the physiological aspects of the vocal folds during that
> type of singing? Just curious...
> --Erica

emusic.com