Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Jun 1, 2000  9:12 pm
Subject:  Vocal power and Lloyd W. Hanson ... TECH: Falsetto

Two things:
1.Can someone who is savvy with the way this group works help this man get
connected? I miss his insight and knowledge.
2. The description of the way in which the mass of the vibrating
components of the vocal chords can change made a little light flash on
above my head: since the density of the material doesn't change, more mass
= more volume = more air displaced = more power required to displace it =
more airflow to produce the power = a louder source of vibration. Our task
then, if volume, or projection, is required, is to find an appropriate way
of resonating so as to be able to utilize this stronger signal.
I now wonder if the initial signal could be so powerful that the
resonators couldn't do it justice and therefore energy would be wasted. I
suppose this would be audible. Maybe even familiar :o) john

At 01:29 PM 6/1/00 +1000, you wrote:
>Dear Listers.
>Apparently Lloyd is having communications difficulties and Mary
>Beth resent his input, reproduced below. ...>
>from Lloyd W. Hanson DMA to Mary Beth.....
>Would it be asking too much to have you send the posting I am
>including below to the Vocalist. I am unable to post anything on
>this list for reasons I do not understand and I would like to be a
>part of the discussion.
>

> It is helpful to keep in mind that the action of the vocal folds
>determines the sonic spectrum of the phonated sound. If the folds
>are thick, somewhat shortened, and internally tense as is found in
>chest voice, a greater mass of the vocal fold is oscillating during
>phonation.
> That is, the various defined areas of the vocal folds are all in
>some degree of oscillation. This includes the mucosal membrane,
>the vocal ligament, and the thyro-arytenoid muscles, sometimes
>called the vocalis muscle.
...>
>My earlier e-mail to you is a summary of the more recent research
>done by IngoTitze
>
>Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
>Professor of Voice, Vocal Pedagogy
>Northern Arizona University