Vocalist.org archive

From:  Domisosing@a...
Date:  Mon Oct 21, 2002  6:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Help with nasally singing

In a message dated 10/21/2002 7:11:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kriswrite@a... writes:

> Hi Randy~
>
> This particular student has good tongue placement, so I don't think
> that's the problem. I'm not sure how I would determine if the larynx
> was elevated. We do work on raising her palate...this is something
> she can usually achieve if I point out that she's not lifting it.
>
> Kristina

Kristina,

Just something to think about..........how do you "know" whether or not her
soft palate is raised or lowered, or if it is raised enough?

The same tools you use to determine the answer to a raised/lowered soft
palate, are the same tools one uses when diagnosing an elevated or depressed
larynx. Even better, one can easily see when the larynx is moving, judging
movement of the soft palate is much more difficult. In fact, if you address
the laryngeal position and vocal onset first, most likely the nasality will
correct itself. Her nasality in speaking could be an organic cause which
needs to be addressed, but could also be the result of her speaking with an
elevated larynx as well.

Have her do some 3 note exercises in the extreme lower region of her chest
voice and see if her tone clears up down there. That should give you an idea
of whether or not the nasality is functional or learned.

Best,
Mary Beth F.

emusic.com