Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Annelies Dille" <annelies_dille@h...>
Date:  Fri Jun 2, 2000  1:59 am
Subject:  my singing exam

Hi everyone!

I thought maybe you would like to know how my singing exam went despite of
my vocal problems. I took me so long because I was a little reluctantly to
write that I did sing the exam in despite of the replies on my original
message.

Well, I doubted the whole weekend whether I should sing or not. I didn’t
take the steroids but finally decided to sing after all. I really had to if
I wanted to have my diploma in July. I worked so hard this year to finish
everything in time, especially to get my paper ready in time, that I didn’t
want to spoil it by not singing an exam where I really ready was at that
time. So I decided to give it a go and hope not to damage my voice
permanently (which my doctor said couldn’t happen so after long doubts I
decided to believe him).

And how did the exam go? Well, I was really, really nervous. I don’t think
I’ve ever been that nervous. The vocal problems took a whole part of my
self-confidence away and my mental preparation in the weekend wasn’t really
optimal! And if that wasn’t enough my exam started more than half an hour
late. During that time I had to stay in the hall where all the public was.
And where the jury stood discussing the latest Elisabeth Competition. (Oh
what a fine comparison, I’m not yet ready to be in the final of such a
competition!) So I started really tensed. Fortunately I have had a lot of
concert practice this year so the public (and maybe the jury) didn’t notice
my nerves. But for me it was really working to get trough it and not
enjoying the music. But they say it’s almost always like that in a final
exam. (An exam is still different from a concert, though it shouldn’t be
that way!)

The comments of the jury were really promising. Of course they had still a
lot of remarks but they were unanimous about the quality of my voice. They
didn’t give a hard time about my really heavy program or the fact that I
sung almost only late-romantic music. And they liked my opera-arias the
most, and that’s what I want to do! I got great results, so I don’t regret
have sung the exam. Sure I feel like I could have done a lot better (mostly
easier and more fun for me) and unlike my previous exams I didn’t sing
better than ever before but I got great results so I have to quite whining
about it!

Finally, I want to thank everyone for their kind reactions on my messages.

Greetings,
Annelies

2064 Re: my singing exam Nancy Mitchell   Thu  6/1/2000   2 KB
2067 Re: my singing exam John Alexander Blyth   Thu  6/1/2000   2 KB
2066 Re: my singing exam Dre de Man   Thu  6/1/2000   2 KB
2077 Re: my singing exam Isabelle Bracamonte   Fri  6/2/2000   2 KB
2086 Re: my singing exam Annelies Dille   Fri  6/2/2000   4 KB

emusic.com